Summer Fun and Race For A Cure
The money that we raise through all of our BCYC-Leukemia & Lymphoma Society events goes to research for ALL cancers, not just Leukemia and Lymphoma. In fact, the following cancer drugs were discovered by LLS research:
- Gleevec: skin and stomach cancers
- Velcade: brain, breast, colorectal, kidney and lung cancers; and organ transplantation
- Rituxan: autoimmune diseases, rheumatoid arthritis and testing for multiple sclerosis and other autoimmune diseases, including lupus nephritis, as well as patients undergoing organ transplants
- Thalidomid®: inflammatory skin complications from leprosy, Alzheimer’s disease, pulmonary fibrosis, HIV related sarcomas and patients with bladder, brain, head-and neck, ovarian, pancreatic and prostate cancers
Thirteen years ago, the BCYC Leukemia Cup Regatta’s history began in a Newport Beach race sponsored by the BCYC Junior Sailors. The open participation regatta raised money to help fight blood-related diseases. In 2004, Nancy Levy, club member and BCYC’s junior sailing director, introduced the nation’s first-ever Junior Leukemia Cup Regatta, when BCYC and Dana West Yacht Club collaborated in sponsoring the Tri-County District (Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino) Leukemia Cup Regatta.
BCYC is pleased to announce that the 2016 funds raised by the club’s Leukemia Cup Regatta events totaled $98,020, which put us over the $1 million mark. Our goal for 2017 is $200,000! From that first BCYC-LLS competition, the number of supporters, funds raised and participating boats has increased substantially. Please join us at our 2017 events, which promise to be a big success as well with a jam-packed schedule that includes:
May 12: Leukemia Cup Electric Boat Poker Run
June 3-4: BCYC Leukemia Cup Regattas – PHRF, Harbor 20
June 4: BCYC Junior Leukemia Cup Regatta
June 10: BCYC Leukemia Cup “Dance the Night Away” Fine Dining – Live and Silent Auction
July 27: BCYC Leukemia Cup Golf Tournament – Oak Creek Golf Course
Support and participation of our many sponsors, contributors and volunteers is the magic. Through these fun and exciting events, we hope to achieve our 2017 fundraising goal of $200,000 and find a cure for cancer.
All of the Leukemia Cup Regatta events are open to the public, so please invite your friends to join us too. For more information and reservations for any of the events, contact Ginny Lombardi or Nancy Levy by email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help Raise More Than a Sail to Find a Cure for Blood-Related Cancers Someday Is Today
– Pat Dwight, BCYC member and Leukemia Cup Regatta committee member –