Building on the strides our sailors made this summer, BCYC’s Fall Sailing Program will have new format geared towards getting the most out of Pandemic life. We have almost our entire staff of coaches in-tact from this summer and look forward to getting our sailors back out on the water and having fun!
- The tenative plan is hold Sabot C3-A, and Double-Handed [High Level CFJ + C420 Techniques w/Christophe Killian] once a week for 9 weeks on Fridays from 2/2:30 to 6/6:30 PM starting 9/4 and concluding 10/30. Please see note regarding SCYYRA sponsored events below which are postponed/cancelled through at least October 15.
- The tentative plan is to hold Sabot Novice once a week for 9 weeks on Fridays from 2:30 to 5:30PM starting 9/4 and concluding 10/30.
- For Sabot levels C3-A (reacting to the cancellation of SCYYRA events) the goal is to use a new format that we’ve proposed, including 6 days/3 regattas of summer "Balboa Bay Fleet Style” racing with First Warning at Aprox. 3 or 330PM (3 move-ups) broken up by 3 collaborative clinics with NHYC, BYC, LIYC, & LBYC including zoom briefs & de-briefs.
- Friday, September 4: Joint Clinic #1
- Friday, September 11: Regatta A - Day 1
- Friday, September 18: Regatta A - Day 2
- Friday, September 25: Joint Clinic #2
- Friday, October 2: Regatta B - Day 1
- Friday, October 9: Regatta B - Day 2
- Friday, October 16: Joint Clinic #3
- Friday, October 23: Regatta C - Day 1 [Fall Champs]
- Friday, October 30: Regatta C - Day 2 [Fall Champs]
- It is important to note that the proposed format for Sabots (above) has not been adopted bay-wide yet, due to Summer Vacation schedules of the Sailing Directors at other Yacht Clubs, but we have our fingers crossed! I will keep you all posted as the plan gets resolved, but please register in the meantime so we can keep moving forward with our planning and logistics at BCYC!
- We have reason to believe that most online learning in the NMUSD will conclude by 1:20 on Friday afternoons, so the goal is to get everyone on the water earlier to take advantage of better sailing conditions and more possibilities to learn, race, and have fun. If this is not your child’s reality in terms of timing please let us know and we will work to accommodate your family’s schedule if we can.
- Because of the additional free time created by remote learning we imagine that our sailors might want to get on the water to train more than once a week outside of program hours via “private and/or semi private lessons” with one of our great coaches, which we support and are happy to help you organize under the condition that the sailor is a BCYC Member or Jr.Member or in the process of becoming one.
- The plan is to hold Junior Mariners once a weekend [Saturday or Sunday] for 9 weekends starting the weekend of 9/5 from 1 to 5 PM depending on what works best for the critical mass. Berkeley has been polling the group and I’ve been told Saturday is preferred by the majority so far.
- Saturday, September 5
- Saturday, September 12
- Saturday, September 19
- Saturday, September 26
- Saturday, October 3
- Saturday, October 10
- Saturday, October 17
- Saturday, October 24
- Saturday, October 31
- The price will be $600/sailor for Sabot C3-A, Double Handed, & Junior Mariners
- The price for Sabot Novice will be 500/sailor
- The non-member fee will be $75/sailor
- There are 6 very basic club sabot charters available for $125/boat
- Sibling Discount $25/sailor
- Fall Program tuition does not cover coaching fees for weekend regattas
- BCYC has full on Covid protocol with masks required 100% of the time on land, zoom briefings and debriefs when applicable, and temperature checks when you arrive. Our goal is still to limit interactions, group briefings, and gathering/conjestion. The conceptual framework of the program is still: show up and rig, go sailing, come in, de-rig and leave.
- Like Summer, our coaches will provide “sabot valet service” : sailors will not be allowed in the Sabot Storage
- Parents will not be allowed in the program area during program hours to limit exposure to other sailing families & we kindly request that parents continue to wear masks during drop off & pick up
SCYYRA Statement on Fall 2020 Series Events
August 15, 2020
The Southern California Youth Yacht Racing Association (SCYYRA) is postponing and/or canceling (details to be determined as the season unfolds) all Fall Series Events (Shadden, Perry, Ullman/Frost, North, Carrie & Hamlin Series’) through October 15, 2020. We will continually monitor and will announce plans for October 16 forward by September 15th.
Applications for the 2021 SCYYRA Sailing Team will be available in September based on events from September 1, 2019, through March 8, 2020.
*Interested in becoming a Junior Member?
$49/month with $0 initiation fee!
Junior Members enjoy:
- Full access to Juniors facilities including pool, lower patio, Junior Room, indoor sabot storage, and boatyard
- Full access to club boats and equipment
- Member pricing
- Member account privileges
- Columbia Room menu
- Parents have club access during Junior events
Junior Membership Application